For the time being, new Sore Eyes content can be found at http://blog.thebeard.org.
At some point old content hosted here might be moving over there, or that content might be moved over here.
(I realise I should have posted about this weeks ago. More on that as my plans for my web presence evolve.)
For some bizarre reason my copy of WordPress insists on truncating the post I’ve just made to http://soreeyes.org/2019/09/a-tool-using-animal/. I will probably be experimenting with alternative themes and so on over the next few hours until I get to the bottom of this. The entire post shows up just fine in preview, but is horribly truncated once published. The content is in WordPress OK, but something about how the installed theme wants to present that post is screwed up.
This is the sort of thing that prompted me to switch to Jekyll a few years ago: the seductive ease of use a CMS like WordPress offers just makes the inevitable betrayal when something goes wrong all the more infuriating…
Normal service will be resumed at some point.
[Update: fixed! Looks like something about my using ‘…’ carelessly upset my current theme. I may still spend some time today experimenting with different themes to see whether there’s a decent workaround for this limitation.]
So, here we are again. Another change in Content Management System, another switch in the address of my site and RSS feed. Anyone would think I didn’t want anyone to have people keep track of my content.
This time I’ve been offline since my venerable Mac Mini started exhibiting signs of an impending hard disk failure late November 2017. After a lot of dithering around I find myself once again setting up and using WordPress. [note]That will probably be the subject of another post at some point.[/note]
Expect a couple of days of faffing around as I tweak this iteration of the site to get things running how I want them, followed by my importing a bunch of older posts as and when circumstances allow. For now, I’ll be posting some items that I’ve had lurking in my Pinboard tagged as ForWeblog (or for_weblog, depending upon my mood/preferred tagging style that day) and been forced to keep to myself as I didn’t have a machine capable of running Jekyll to hand.